Bringing a baby is one of the most joyous events in a couple’s life. Even after trying for 6 months to a year, if a couple cannot conceive, they are advised to consult a fertility specialist. The fertility specialist will thoroughly examine the couple, conduct diagnostics and proceed with treatment. However, even after undergoing all appropriate tests, sometimes no cause of infertility is found, and then it is called unexplained infertility. In India, around 15 per cent of infertile couples are diagnosed with unexplained infertility annually. It is medically known as idiopathic infertility.
The most common causes of unexplained infertility boil down to poor egg or sperm quality or problems with the uterus or fallopian tubes that aren’t identifiable during regular fertility testing. The most adopted treatments for unexplained infertility are:
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI)
- In vitro fertilization (IVF)
- Ovarian stimulation
- Timed intercourse
- Lifestyle changes.
Understanding being infertile for no reason.
In cases of some infertile couples, no standard infertility testing can find the cause for a couple’s or a woman’s inability to get pregnant. Some reproductive experts term this unexplained infertility as non-diagnosis, becoming the most significant cause of infertility. The figures around unexplained infertility vary because there is no definition of “standard infertility testing.” means. The tests performed on the couple are related to the condition they are suffering, symptoms, and the physician’s diagnostic procedure.
The guidelines for standard infertility testing as per the “American Society for Reproductive Medicine“ are:
- Ovulation assessment
- Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) evaluates the condition of the uterus and fallopian tubes.
- Semen analysis
- Ovarian reserve evaluation
- Diagnostic laparoscopy is a minimally invasive surgical technique where the physician views the internal organs and conditions via a tiny camera.
These tests are done in addition to physical examination and medical and sexual history review. Not knowing the cause of infertility can be frustrating because the couple would want to know the cause of their problem. But the good news is unexplained infertility may correct itself over time.
What are the possible causes of unexplained infertility?
As per the definition, unexplained infertility’s causes are unknown, but some fertility physicians think that a likely cause of unexplained infertility is that the tests performed to assess infertility might have missed nuances due to imperfect testing methods.
The most likely factors contributing to unexplained Infertility are:
- Ovulation problems
- Poor egg quality
- Poor sperm quality
- Insufficient frequency of sexual intercourse or intercourse not timed to coincide with ovulation
- Problems with female pelvic health, notedly with the fallopian tubes or uterus
Treatment for unexplained infertility
The most common treatments for unexplained infertility are:
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI) — The sperm is washed and concentrated and placed directly in the woman’s uterus around ovulation.
- Fixing the timing of sexual intercourse — The window of getting pregnant each month is small. The couple should have sex during the three days leading up to ovulation or the day of ovulation. Many ovulation calculators help you work out when you are likely to ovulate. Also, knowing your body and how it changes when ovulation is approaching can help. In some women, a few days before ovulation, vaginal mucus changes and becomes clear and slippery, like egg white, which is perfect for fertilization since the sperm can easily swim along. We will advise the couple on how to time sexual intercourse. It should mainly coincide with the woman’s ovulation, and they should also have sexual intercourse regularly.
- Injectable hormones — Hormonal medications stimulate egg production in females and can treat low sperm count in males. Hormonal therapy is frequently combined with IUI treatment, resulting in better success rates with Unexplained Infertility.
- Lifestyle changes — Women diagnosed with unexplained infertility should quit smoking and reduce the consumption of alcohol and caffeine. Both men and women should have an appropriate weight, all of which can increase fertility. Be healthy physically, mentally and emotionally.
- Be in the healthy weight range
- Avoid smoking
- Eat a healthy, nutritious diet and exercise regularly
- Take a folate and iodine supplement
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoid contact with toxic chemicals in the work and home environments
- See a doctor if you suspect an infection or other inflammation.
- IVF treatment — In vitro fertilization is the most effective treatment for unexplained infertility. Although IVF is the fastest option, it is expensive. So, if your fertility expert gives at least a 30% chance of natural conception, then trying for another six months can help you avoid the costs and risks of fertility treatment without reducing your chance of a baby.
We at ZIVA Fertility clinic understand that not knowing the cause of infertility can be very frustrating and confusing for the couple. Hence, we offer both medical and counselling services to all our clients. We are here for you throughout the journey before you even conceive. Schedule an appointment with us today at +91-9100002737, +91-9392834024, and Info@zivafertility.com. Visit our website – https://zivafertility.com/ to know more and read the testimonials of our previous happy clients.