Estimates show that 1 in 10 women less than 40 is seeking some infertility treatment. With these kinds of figures, Infertility treatment has evolved a lot, with many modern advanced treatments helping couples realize their dreams of having a baby.
In medical terms, a couple is considered infertile if they try but cannot get pregnant within one year. But as woman’s age, the waiting period reduces. E.g. in women older than 35, failing to conceive within six months is diagnosed as Infertility. For ages more than 40, the couple should immediately consult a medical professional to rule out Infertility. Infertility should not be confused with miscarriage or inability to carry the baby in the womb. Pelvic exam, Blood test, Transvaginal ultrasound, Hysteroscopy, Saline sonohysterogram (SIS), Hysterosalpingogram (HSG), Laparoscopy tests will determine Infertility in women. Semen analysis, Blood test, Scrotal ultrasound can determine male infertility reasons.
Factors determining the Infertility treatment
When did you seek help for Infertility?
Based on your age, you should seek help at the appropriate time. If you are under the age of 35, try for a year to get pregnant and if that fails, then see a professional. But if you are older than 35, consult a doctor if you are not getting pregnant even after 6 months of trying.
What is the cause of Infertility?
The starting point of treatment would be to determine the causes of Infertility, which are broadly categorized as:-
- Women over the age of 35 and men or over 40
- Eating disorders, including anorexia nervosa and bulimia.
- Excessive alcohol use.
- Exposure to toxins at the workplace.
- Radiation therapy or other cancer treatments.
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
- Substance abuse.
- Weight problems (obesity or underweight).
What treatment options are you choosing?
There are various treatment options including:-
- Medications: Fertility drugs that affect the hormones and stimulate ovulation. Medication is given to enhance the testosterone level and for erectile dysfunction.
- Surgery: Surgery is performed for removing blockages in fallopian tubes, removing uterine fibroids and polyps. Endometriosis is also surgically treated, which doubles a woman’s chances of pregnancy. In men, surgery is done to open blockages in the sperm storage tubes.
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI): The sperm is directly placed into the uterus using a long, thin tube.
- In vitro fertilization (IVF): The eggs are harvested and placed together with the sperm in a lab dish where the fertilization happens. The resulting embryo is transferred into the uterus.
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI): A single sperm is directly injected into each of the harvested eggs, then transferred into the uterus.
- Using donor eggs, donor sperm or donor embryos.
Each of the treatments mentioned above is quite expensive. Especially if the couple chooses IUI, IVF, ICSI, they might have to undergo multiple cycles. Each cycle is treated as a fresh one, so every time you retry, you might have to bear the same cost depending on the treatment you have chosen. Some clinics do offer concessions, but it is discretionary. Hence, talk to the care manager beforehand and know how much you might spend and if you are ready for it.
Quality and Safety
One should check if the fertility center maintain strict quality assurance and quality control throughout the IVF laboratory. Lab should be well equipped and regularly inspected.
Availability: The fertility center functioning timings suitable as per the couple’s convenience. So that they can monitor uninterrupted throughout your treatment.
Your treatment should be monitored regularly so that the best can be done for you to increase your chances at pregnancy. Medications are altered, ultrasounds and blood work ups are done whenever required. All should be available under one roof.
Experience: The Clinicians should be well qualified, trained and have many years of experience. Embryologists also should have in-depth knowledge and experience in all the required procedures for fertility treatment.
When a couple knows that they are infertile and have to seek treatment, it can be quite emotional, affecting not only the couple but also the family. Talk to your friends and family beforehand so that you have good moral backing. It would also help if you could talk to couples who underwent infertility treatment before and take advice.
Being infertile is not the end of the road for couples. Talk to a fertility expert at the ZIVA fertility centre and get all the information you need to know about infertility treatments. Please reach out to us at 91-9100002737, +91-9392834024, Info@zivafertility.com and let us help you.